Capturing Motion With an XBOX Kinect V2 Camera (Setup and a Tryout)

 

XBOX Kinect V2


   After researching using artificial intelligence as a possible motion capture tool, I decided to work with a Kinect camera, for hopefully more accurate results. I have purchased the needed tools and began to set up my workspace. For the motion camera, I needed a clear space of 4x3 meters and a computer with a software called Ipi Recorder for the recording and processing of the movement. 


Ipi Recorder


   I began by performing tryouts for the technologies using simple sequences of movement. This has helped me to understand the exact position I have to be in and the range of motion the camera is able to detect. After I recorded the tryout material, I exported it and uploaded it to software called Ipi Mocap Studio. The software is used to upload a file from the Ipi Recorder where the video's depth information is used to create and bake a skeleton on it as well as to fix any inconsistencies in the recorded movement.


Ipi Mocap Studio


   The recorded movement patterns were not as accurate as expected and the skeleton of the captured movement was breaking at every turn. Therefore I manually fixed some of the inaccuracies before uploading it to the Unreal Engine 4. There, I imported the animation and applied a default mannequin to it. The result gave me a better insight into how I am supposed to work with the program in terms of the original material that I have created for the sequence investigating the movement patterns of chronic pain.


Unreal Engine 4


   Finally, after trying out the Kinect camera and the programs, understanding and learning from the errors that occurred I was ready to apply it to my research and hopefully create an immersive experience for the audience into chronic pain that I will discuss in the following log.

Comments